Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Lame Duck

One of the pluses of working at a news station is that whenever there's a big news event, I always get a front row seat. Yesterday, I was able to sit with several of my co-workers and watch University of Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman's press conference about the firing of Athletic Director Steve Pederson. And, I've got to tell you, as weird as the whole thing still is to me, I feel a little bit better about the whole thing.

In my last post I admitted that Pederson may come across as an arogant ass and that I hoped the reason that he was being fired was not just about the football team. And maybe it was just lip service, but Chancellor Perlman said that while the football team's poor performance played a small factor (mostly because it emboldened people working under Pederson to step forward), the reason Pederson was fired was because of his poor management style. If you read between the lines, Perlman was saying that Pederson was fired because, well, he was an arrogant ass.

The most surprising revelation of the press conference, for me at least, was that Perlman had made the decision to fire Pederson last Thursday, but wanted to wait until after Saturday's game so as not to negatively affect it's outcome. As it turns out, it wouldn't have made much difference.

I'm sure that most Nebraska football fans are happy to see Pederson go, but I sincerely doubt that it will have much of an affect on the performance of this year's team. If anything, the fact that the coaching staff is almost certainly now a "lame duck" one will probably make them even worse. I know that's almost impossible to imagine for most Husker fans, but a 4-8 season is looking more and more like a reality. In fact, the only plus I see in Pederson being let go now, is that fans will keep coming to games, which up until yesterday was in serious doubt. Nebraska fans wanted to see some sign that steps were being taken to turn this team around, and while it may not have been the exact step they wanted (firing Cosgrove and/or Callahan), it was a step nonetheless. It will probably be enough... for now.

The only possible wrinkle in the whole scenario (and it's a far-fetched one, believe me) would be if Callahan and Co. are actually able to turn their team around and finish 9-3. Again, it's not likely, but it is mathematically possible, and right now, Head Coach Bill Callahan has nothing to lose. And as the old saying goes, "there's nothing more dangerous than a man with nothing to lose." Would all of those people that still complain about Frank Solich getting fired after going 9-3 make the same amount of noise if Callahan were to get the axe after doing the same? We'll probably never know, but I for one, would certainly love to see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that SP was fired I think that Pearlman said it best when he said (Paraphraseing) that Steve was to closly tied to the football coach to do anything about the situation that we are in.

On your note that the season is over I disagree. I think that there was so much unrest with the football players not knowing what direction the team was going in that they had given up. I think that now something has been put in motion and the players see that things are going to change that they are going to come out and actually play for themselves, the univerisity, and the tradition not the coach. The past couple of weeks it felt like the players were just showing up on Saturday so they wouldn't loose their scholarship. I think now they know BC will not be around next year and will being to play as a team on a mission. This week will tell the tale and I am looking forward to the game.

On a side note did you go to the game last week? If so did BC crush another record that only you held.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Boy, are anonymous comments lame...
But, I'm going to respond anyway.

I never said that the season is over. There's still 5 games left. I even said that I hope that the Huskers can pull together and make something of this year. 9-3 is, like I said, still possible. As a fan, I would love to see that happen. As a realist, I don't think it will.

As far as BC and the rest of the current coaches being around next season, I'm pretty sure that they won't be. I think BC has lost his team, much like he did with the Raiders. This is a team made up, in my opinion, of players who chose Nebraska because they believed that BC would get them ready for the NFL. I don't think that many of them care at all about the university or the tradition. Which is another reason why I think firing Pederson will have no affect on the football field.

I also think that the staff will go away because: a) Osborne doesn't believe in their style of coaching, b) Pelini and other possible head coaching candidates aren't going to be available forever, and c) Osborne won't be staying as AD for long and he'll want to make sure that the Huskers are in good shape for the future before he leaves (that and I'm sure that he doesn't want to tarnish his legend).

Does that mean I think it's right to not give BC at least one more year? Not necessarily. Like Osborne, I'm going to withold any judgments until after the season. If the Huskers at least manage to stay bowl-elligible (which means they have to win at least 2 more games), I think BC should get one more year. After all, T.O. himself said that he learned the most about coaching the year his team went 6-4. And I think Nebraska fans love and respect T.O. enough to get behind him if he decided to give Callahan and Co. one more year (as long as Callahan makes some changes to his staff, like firing Cosgrove, that is).

But it's all speculation right now, because as you said, the season ain't over yet. That is why they play the games, after all. There are interesting times ahead, to be sure. But for now, all I can say is "Go Huskers!"

Oh, and no, I was not at the game last week. As I said here, I had a wedding to go to. Therefore, thankfully, BC did not break my streak of having the Huskers go undefeated when I'm at the game.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

In my previous comment I said:

After all, T.O. himself said that he learned the most about coaching the year his team went 6-4.

Now, before anyone freaks out, I KNOW that Tom Osborne never won less than 9 games a season while he was head coach at Nebraska.

Osborne's actual quote from his press conference was:

"I particularly remember a couple of 6-4 seasons and the second one of them, we lost to Kansas State 12 to nothing here in Lincoln... probably should have been worse. And we finished up the year 47 to nothing, losing down in Oklahoma. And I learned, probably, more in that year, than any other year that I've coached."

He, as well as I, was referring to the 1968-69 season, which was before he was head coach and still an assistant under Bob Devaney.

Hope that clears things up...

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home