Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Since I'm getting a little tired of writing essentially the same post week after week, and because I'm going to LA tomorrow I'm going to try and keep this one brief.

Now, I love the Kansas Jayhawks. As a graduate from KU, they will always hold a special place in my heart, especially the basketball team. When it comes to football, I still love them, but they will never supersede my first, true football love, the Nebraska Cornhuskers. I know that some people don't understand this, especially my college friends, but I was practically born a Husker football fan, and four years of my life spent at KU did nothing to change that.

The best analogy I can come up with would be to compare the love you have for a blood relative to the love you have for a cousin or nephew. You could love that cousin or nephew as deeply as possible, maybe even go to their sporting events and cheer them on until you lose your voice. But if that cousin or nephew played against your brother or child, who do you think that you'd root for? Well, the Huskers are in my blood, and I can't root against blood... except during basketball season.

Which brings me to one of my least favorite statistics about Bill Callahan's tenure as head coach of the Nebraska football team. Before he became the head coach, Nebraska had not lost to KU in football in 36 years. Since he became coach, they've lost to them twice, the most recent loss coming last Saturday. And if that's not bad enough, Kansas won the game 76-39. That's 76 points! The most ever scored against Nebraska. Ever! To top it all off, the previous record for most points allowed by Nebraska was also set by a Callahan coached team, when Nebraska lost to Texas Tech 70-10 in 2004.

Yup, the hits just keep on coming. I just want this awful, embarrassment of a season to end. Bring on basketball, so I can root on my Jayhawks in earnest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Thomsen said...

I have no comment only wanted to use this space for advertising for my new blog. Come Check me out at http://www.otno.blogspot.com/

I guess I do have one other comments.

Battle for the Beer

Over standings

Thom 1
Thomsen 1

It all comes down to Colorado. Still looking to increase the odds if you are in.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Mike-

3 things. First, congrats on finally leaving a comment that's not anonymous.

Second, glad to see you join the blogosphere. You're a funny guy, that likes to argue and talk shit, so your blog should be very entertaining.

Finally, enough with the upping the ante on the bet! You took my hopeful comments of the best possible outcome for Nebraska this season as predictions. There's a big difference. Sure, I took the bet, because you called me out, but this is as far as its going.

Besides, what type of husker fan are you, now that you're essentially hoping Nebraska loses to Colorado? I have a hard enough time betting for Nebraska, but I tell you what, I know that I'd never bet against them.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home